The Douglas Stephen Partnership was formed ten years ago, in succession to the original Partnership founded by Douglas Stephen in 1954 as an atelier of like minded people with a shared interest in a rational approach to design We have designed a number of innovative but practical Primary Health Care facilities over the last ten years in the London area, following the success of our Highgate Clinic, and several of these are now being revisited to address changing needs in health care.
- Central London
|Address||140-142 St. John St|
|Phone Number||020 7336 7884|
From Our Website
The firm has acquired a diverse portfolio of completed buildings and projects - and a prevalent concern for context. At every scale in this work, the desire to create coherent spatial relationships with the surrounding fabric is a significant determinant in the design. Adaptation of existing buildings has played an important role in our work and we take pride and care in sensitive interventions and conservation of protected buildings. The school had a clear vision for this building which needed to be a very innovative in design and to support our strong reputation for the use of New Technology.
The design is for a contemporary infill courtyard house in the long, narrow slot between two pastiche 20th century 'replica' Victorian buildings and high rear garden walls. At ground level the house is set back from the pavement to provide a front garden. The entrance hall leads to a WC/utility room and study that can also be used as an accessible bedroom. The study opens onto a landscaped inner courtyard that accommodates non-approved windows in the flank wall of the adjoining building. Planting will screen the windows whilst still allowing for light and ventilation.